How many times have you found yourself wondering what you should do tonight?
Houston is an incredibly city, full of world-class nightlife options, yet we’ve all struggled to figure out what to do on a given night. Whenever you feel stick, give this list a one through and you’re sure to end up with at least a few viable candidates for any night out.
1. Hearsay Gastro Lounge
Located in the twice reconstructed W. L. Foley building, the original Hearsay Gastro Lounge seamlessly blends elements of Houston’s robust history together with modern features to create an atmosphere both elegant and unpretentious at once.
2. Mongoose Versus Cobra
- We love this spot – have the grilled cheese and spiced pickles
- Tons of beer options, a huge 13oz pretzel and excellent cocktails
3. Anvil Bar & Refuge
- Fantastic cocktail bar with 100+ cocktails
- Very knowledgeable bartenders (and great drinks as a result)
4. Petrol Station
- Great (slightly hipster) spot for burgers and beers
- Their veggie burger is a show stopper – excellent!
5. Beckrew Wine House
- Great wine bar – we recommend ordering a flight
- The 3 ounce pours are a great way to try out many wines without spending a fortune
6. 13 Celsius
- 13 is housed in a 1920s era Mediterranean-style building and features a 40-foot bar of antiqued white Carrera marble and furniture salvaged from an historic Houston institution, the Warwick Hotel
- Great if you enjoy wine; good food as well – but come for the wine
7. Moving Sidewalk
- Whiskey game on point
- Friendly bartenders, good crowd and consistently good experiences
8. Club Tropicana
- Live band that plays salsa merengue & bachata on Thursdays
- Salsa classes on Tuesdays, bachata classes on Thursdays
- Gets PACKED on Friday and Saturdays
- Small bar, can be hard to find a set, but great cocktails
- The mint julep is great of course, but all of the cocktails we tried were good
10. La Carafe
The La Carafe building is listed on the National Register for Historic Places and is believed to be the oldest bar in Houston, and is the oldest commercial building still in use, in Houston. Built by developer Nathaniel Kellum in 1847, the La Carafe building has remained a two-story public venue since it’s construction.
- Great little dive bar gem in downtown
- Great service and even better prices
11. Stone’s Throw
- Great gatsby style speakeasy great for drinks with your date
- Great Happy Hour daily from 4-8; everything is $4 at 4PM, $5 at 5PM, etc.
12. Nouveau Antique Art Bar
- Wednesday Bluesday is a ton of fun
- 200 or so Tiffany Lamps add to the great ambiance
- Great blended mojito and tasty Pizza
- All day happy hour on Sundays & Mondays
14. The Original OKRA Charity Saloon
- 100% of proceeds are donated to a different Houston-based nonprofit organization or social cause each month; buy a drink, get a ticket and use that ticket to vote for the charity of your choice
- Cool ambiance – kind of like a NY loft
- Food & Drink are great
15. Prohibition Supperclub & Bar
Prohibition Supperclub & Bar is divided into two unique spaces:
- Prohibition Theatre is Houston’s Premier theatre for alternative cutting edge productions. The dinner theatre shows by the Terrible Enfants Theatre Co. is great
- Prohibition’s oyster bar is a great place for cocktails and food! We feature classic cocktails, the freshest oysters, and a great gulf coast inspired menu. Open 6 days a week for dinner.
- The Theatre area was originally built in 1912, this space holds significance to Houston’s history as Houston’s first theatre. Many of the original artifacts and wall plasters dating back to 1912 have been retained.
16. Flying Saucer Draught Emporium
- Delicious queso & homemade salsa
- If you taste 200 of their beers you get your name in the Ring of Honor
- They’ve got a bunch of these spread out throughout the South – all great
17. Improv Comedy Club
- Good comedy club that generally books solid talent
- Seating is first come first served, so plan to arrive early
18. Crush Wine Lounge
- Fun spot for when you find yourself in the Woodlands
- Latin Night on Thursdays is always a blast
19. Bovine & Barley
- Young, hipster crowd
- Veggie burger, jalapeno poppers and skillet queso are great
20. The Music Box Theater
- Amazing talent! One of our favorites anywhere.
- Solid (strong) bottomless mimosas
21. The Monnalisa
- Beautiful outdoor patio with cabanas, a beautiful fire pit & a pool
- The signature cocktail – Monnalisa – is EXCELLENT!
22. F Bar
- Great place to be single and mingle
- Crowd is laid back, people are dancing, it’s always a fun time
23. Blue At Brenner’s
- Great spot for drinks, especially after dinner at Brenner’s
- We recommend making reservations
- Stunning views, beautiful ambiance
24. Captain Foxhearts
Address: 308 Main St, Fl 2, Houston, TX 77002
Yelp Link: (3.5 stars with 200+ reviews)
- A secret bar hidden away on the 2nd floor of a building
- Great ambiance – once of our favorite speakeasies in Houston
25. Pastry War
- Excellent tequilla bar
- A little hipster, a little eclectic, super chill