Today we’d like to introduce you to THE C.I.T.Y.
The collection began when RaShard (lead singer) and Dero (lead guitar) met at Prairie View A&M University.
College life on “The Hill” played an integral role for several reasons. One being that the college crowd was brutally honest so if you were able to maintain steady performances you knew you were on to something. This is why we feel so many artist have been birthed from the campus and continued their careers beyond college. Secondly, the element of “crowd control” that was displayed by notable DJs (DJ Mr. Roger’s, DJ Chose, DJ Memphis, DJ No Tables, etc. ) on campus was key. The ability to choose the right song at the right time is a very underrated yet imperative skill that we later would utilize in our own performances.
But THE C.I.T.Y. was formed after our college days. A true example of six degrees of separation, we were simply blessed to cross paths with CNote (saxophone), Keyz (keyboardist), G Will (bass guitar) and AG (percussionist) forming THE C.I.T.Y. as we know it.
We would later welcome Chelsea Montgomery (manager) and Micheal Fields (sound tech) into the fold.
Now with two projects (#STAYTUNED and The “Audio -N-Chill” EP) and the live show to match we are striving to establish ourselves as high energy musical powerhouse.
Has it been a smooth road?
Of course, like anything else we’ve been met with obstacles.
- A) First finding and identifying exactly who we wanted to be. Honestly, we started out modeling what we saw only to soon realize that we just didn’t fit the traditional R&B mold. Up until this point, our performances were standard… We perform while the audience sits and watches.
But we wanted more.
Always being a fan of Soul Train we used it as a reference. You notice that the interaction between the artist and the crowd made for high energy, party atmosphere. Also harkening back to our days in college we wanted to capitalize on crowd control and the element of surprise. These elements helped steer us in the right direction and truly embody who it was we wanted to become.
- B) Secondly, bringing together different individuals to work toward a common goal, of course, can be challenging but that is what a family/team is. Too often people prescribe to the notion that in order for things to work everyone has to agree on everything when actually it’s the opposite. It’s healthy to have different perspectives and challenge each other. This leads to continual growth and maturation. At the end of the day when it’s anchored in love and respect it allows you to look past the disagreements and continue to walk in unison toward your goal.
We believe that having different viewpoints and constantly challenging each other to step up is our greatest quality.
We’d love to hear more about your work and what you are currently focused on. What else should we know?
When you say Funk, Soul, Rhythm and Blues you must be talking about The C.I.T.Y.
We are a vibrant and boldly fresh conglomerate of artistically talented young men that bring hard work and a downright gift to take over a stage. This group is high energy to the third power and have worked our musical magic together for years.
While doing so, we have aptly displayed our brand as visionary songwriters, composers, entertainers and skilled musicians.
Like George Clinton & Parliament-Funkadelic, Mint Condition and Frankie Beverly & Maze all rolled up in one, we will make you beg for an encore each and every show, validating our coined slogan, “THE C.I.T.Y. , WE PARTY”.
We are a breath of fresh air for live music, delivering funk in increasing levels while taking you on a musical voyage of Funk, Hip Hop, Soul, R&B and more.
But much more than that we are what the future holds for live music lovers as well as those that walk their own path “unapologetically”. It says it in the name,
Completely In Tune w/ Yourself.
Welcome to THE C.I.T.Y.
Let’s touch on your thoughts about our city – what do you like the most and least?
Houston is a hotbed for talent in all forms of the entertainment industry. In music specifically, it has artists from each and every genre that the world needs to hear.
Our city has influenced the entertainment industry in so many ways ranging from our unique style and musical taste to helping set a blueprint for establishing independent artists and labels.
The talent is definitely here but I think the disconnect may be a lack of knowledge regarding the actual business of entertainment.
I think if we as a city focus our energy collectively on learning and executing the business of entertainment we can establish ourselves among the likes of Atlanta, Los Angeles and New York.
We can properly equip creatives and put a stop to the feeling that they have to leave here in order to achieve a heightened level of success.
- Website: www.THECITYWEPARTY.com
- Phone: 8325218072
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thecityweparty/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/THECITYWEPARTY/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/THECITYWEPARTY
Marvin “Jack” Jackson