Today we’d like to introduce you to Michelle Carlson.
Thanks for sharing your story with us Michelle. So, let’s start at the beginning and we can move on from there.
My journey to health and fitness started with the complete ABSENCE of either.
As a 23-year-old mom of 2 little ones, I weighed over 265 pounds and wanted to sleep all the time. I started out walking, late at night so nobody could see me… and I did every diet under the sun, and I was plagued with depression and anxiety. I was a chronic dieter, raised by a chronic dieter, who was raised by a chronic dieter. So, you can see the pattern right?
Through a series of MOST fortunate events, I became a yoga teacher and then went on to work for a local chain gym and garner 16 different group fitness certifications, my personal training license with eight different specialties, and my nutrition specialization. Fitness changed my life and offered me a chance to be with my kids while they were growing up…and help them move furniture as they started college. 🙂
I’ve been involved in just about every area of fitness since those days. I have taught everything from yoga and Pilates, to step and kickboxing. I’ve trained hundreds of clients to overcome self-doubt and disbelief so they can reach any goal they set. I’ve worked with some of the best trainers in the business and have been blessed with a long career that is able to change with the needs of others.
As far as the weight, I lost over 120 pounds and kept it off. I also did a figure competition JUST to prove to myself that I could. I’ve dabbled in powerlifting and Olympic lifting, and I have even been able to travel overseas to teach self-defense to victims of human trafficking. What a life! I also still struggle with depression and anxiety, BUT I have been able to use that struggle to help many others.
There have been PLENTY of roadblocks and obstacles in creating this life, but my true passion is creating a MOVEMENT. I am completely blessed that this lifestyle has allowed me to travel the country and the globe, empowering women from all walks of life.
We’re always bombarded by how great it is to pursue your passion, etc. – but we’ve spoken with enough people to know that it’s not always easy. Overall, would you say things have been easy for you?
I think everybody encounters a bumpy road right?
Actually, when the road is super smooth, it usually means I have gotten a little lazy and unfocused on my personal goals. THAT’S when I can feel very uncomfortable.
The struggles seemed endless in the beginning: trying to lose weight because I thought I had to look a certain way to be a successful trainer, taking jobs at gyms because I was worried about striking out on my own, dealing with my own self limiting beliefs and self-sabotage while simultaneously trying to coach clients through the same thing can also be exhausting.
What I have found over the years is that having something to always look to and see as truth is KEY.
Most people will say to always consider your “why” and while that is great information to have, I have found that even your strongest “WHY” doesn’t always keep you going.
I find my way through my personal faith and that is what has helped with depression and anxiety.
Recently, I came across a quote on a podcast that I wrote down: “Your life right now is a direct result of what you allow to continue”.
It’s a fantastic reminder to me that I am in control of certain things in my life: my mindset being the most powerful of all.
Working in the fitness industry can be daunting, and I know there are a lot of new trainers who really hear this. Paying for fitness services is, unfortunately, a luxury for many people. They would rather invest anything other than their own health.
Hang in there though!
People need caring trainers and instructors. They need people who are willing to share their own ups and downs and offer solutions to problems in health and fitness.
So, fight the fight ladies!
The fitness industry really does need us.
And, by the way, it doesn’t matter your size… I promise there are people out there who need to hear your story and get to know YOU without changing anything.
We’d love to hear more about MichelleCFitness.
One of my FAVORITE things to do is to travel and speak at empowering events, ladies groups and retreats. I am blessed to be able to use this platform to bring awareness to Human Trafficking and the fight we have ahead of us. I am passionate about helping women step out of that negative headspace and step into their purpose with passion.
Currently, I have found my perfect fit with a few different things:
1. Personalized online training. This helps me to make 1:1 training more affordable AND enables clients to reach their goals faster. I handle your workout programming based on your goals, available equipment and even lifestyle. We also go over nutrition and regular goal setting so you never feel stuck. I only take a small number of clients so I can keep this personal.
2. Online group training. You don’t have to start off knowing your group, because I promise everybody gets close throughout this 8-week program. We cover workouts, nutrition, goal setting and mindset, but do it in a group setting. Everybody starts and finishes together.
3. Mindset Makeover Course is a 10-week course I offer twice a year to a limited number of ladies who want to dive DEEP into their goals. This course goes beyond just physical transformation. It’s great for people who deal with self-sabotage and low confidence. This course helps you tap into your own contagious confidence and reach goals you never thought possible.
4. Corporate wellness initiatives. I offer corporate wellness programs throughout Houston, taking yoga and Pilates into your business so your employees are taken care of and more productive. I also offer corporate boot camps, nutrition seminars, as well as goal setting and productivity hacks seminars for your next lunch and learn.
I am most proud of my commitment to staying true to what I know and believe works. I don’t chase fads or follow trends too much. I stay close to the science offered so my clients can see real results that are easily maintained.
Do you recommend any apps, books or podcasts that have been helpful to you?
For a great app, I recommend aNote. It’s super simple but has been a life changer and I always reference it in productivity talks. With aNote, you can set up your entire day, week, and month towards a common goal.
Podcasts I’m listening to currently: Storybrand and Build Your Tribe.
Book: The Latte Factor by David Bach
Blogs: Marie Forleo
- Personalized 1:1 coaching $200/month; limited to 5 clients
- 8-week group coaching: $100; limited to 10 ladies. Next group starts 1/6/2020
- 10-week mindset makeover course: $49
- Consults available to discuss services: FREE
- Available for speaking engagements year-round. Please contact me for booking info.
- Website: https://michellecfitness.com
- Phone: 7134164675
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/themichellecarlson/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/michellecfitness
- Other: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelle-carlson-a8366837/
Kendra Harwell Photography for the 2 professional images